Dan was born and raised in Portland, Oregon. As the fifth of seven children, he mastered the art of strategy and argument at a young age. These skills served him well. He graduated first in his law school class at the University of Oregon where he served as the Executive Editor of the Oregon Law Review. After law school, Dan practiced in Seattle at Perkins Coie before returning to Portland in 1995.
Dan is an experienced trial attorney in all areas of employment litigation. He is skillful at engaging a jury through his succinct presentation of facts and storytelling.
Dan is equally pragmatic in keeping his clients out of court. He advises in all areas of employment law including workplace discrimination, sexual harassment, Title VII, termination, ADA, Equal Pay Act, employment torts, reductions in force, wage and hour disputes and employment contracts, with a particular emphasis on noncompete and nonsolicitation agreements and independent contractor agreements. Dan also defends administrative claims before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Bureau of Labor and Industries and the Washington State Human Rights Commission.
While Dan has passion for the law, his three children are his greatest achievement. He continues to be in awe of each of their unique personalities and abilities.
- BOLI Revives “Surprise” Employer Inspection Program - Bullard Alert, October 2016
- Oregon's New Non-Compete Statute Closes Some Windows, but Opens a Door on Non-Solicit Agreements – Portland Business Journal, October 2007
- You Can't Take That Job – The Oregonian, October 2006
- United Health Files Suit Against Ex-Local Employee – Portland Business Journal, October 2006
- Medical Marijuana: When the State Says Yes, Employers Can't Say No – League of Oregon Cities, July 2005
- Accommodating Medical Marijuana – Civil Rights Newsletter, May 2005
- Medical Marijuana – Xenium Seminars, May 2005
- Medical Marijuana – Oregon Association of Defense Counsel (OADC), May 2005
- Non-Compete Agreements/Trade Secrets – Bullard Annual Labor and Employment Law Briefing, October 2014
- Best Practices Based on Recent Court Decisions - Bullard Annual Labor and Employment Law Briefing, October 2013
- What Have the Courts Been Teaching Us? – Bullard Annual Labor and Employment Law Briefing, October 2012
- Trends and Hot Topics – Bullard Annual Labor and Employment Law Briefing, October 2010
- Independent Contractors – Bullard Workshop, July 2010
- Revenge in the Workplace: Retaliation and Whistleblower Claims – Bullard Public Sector Symposium, February 2010
- Managing Off-Duty Conduct – Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, June 2009
- Employment Law Update: What Recent Cases Mean for Your Workplace – Bullard Annual Labor and Employment Law Briefing, October 2008
- Monitoring Employee Use of Internet, Email, Phones and Text Messages – OSB Labor & Employment Law Section, October 2008
- Monitoring Employee Use of Internet, Email, Phones and Text Messages – Oregon Chapter of American Corporate Counsel Association, September 2008
- Employee Regulations of Off-Duty Conduct – Oregon Association of Defense Counsel (OADC), September 2008
- Protecting Your Company's Confidential Employee Information, Proprietary Business Information and Customer Relationships – Bullard Workshop, July 2008
- Covenants Not to Compete – Lorman, January 2008
- 2007 Litigation Update – Bullard Annual Labor and Employment Law Briefing, October 2007
- Independent Contractor or Employee: Misclassification and Consequences – Bullard Workshop, July 2007
- Discrimination Law Update: What Recent Court Decisions are Telling Us – Bullard Annual Labor and Employment Law Briefing, October 2004