Fran Barnwell enjoys practicing labor and employment law because it provides an opportunity for both problem-solving and long-term client relationships. Fran understands that those relationships are built on earned trust, responsiveness and excellent service. In his employment practice, Fran evaluates complex or thorny employee matters, and advises clients on workable options and solutions. Fran is effective at discerning the important facts and issues in short order, listening to the client and evaluating desired outcomes, and pro-actively driving a course of action that is in the best interests of the client. He assesses risks appropriately, but also works with clients on avenues to move forward to address the particular situation in light of operational or personnel needs, while minimizing risk. Fran is a skilled and practical counselor with clients, and a zealous, well prepared advocate in litigation or mediation.
Fran has conducted numerous seminars and training sessions on employment law issues. In his pre-law life, Fran grew up in a small town in Michigan as one of eight children, attended college in New Hampshire, and taught elementary school in Vermont.
Fran enjoys various outdoor activities, rain or shine. He and his family are hiking for the third time to the bottom of the Grand Canyon this Spring (and hopefully back out).
- Yours, Mine or Ours? US Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division issues new Joint Employer Standard - Bullard Alert, February 2016
- Oregon Supreme Court Holds that Oregon Disability Discrimination Law Does not Require Employers to Accommodate the Medical use of Marijuana - Bullard Alert, April 2010
- Independent Contractors Backhoe Workers Ineligible for Benefits Under Company's Pension Plans, Court Rules - Bureau of National Affairs Daily Labor Report, May 2007
- Employee Fired for Alleged Insubordination - Bureau of National Affairs Daily Labor Report, January 2007
- Corporate Counsel Section Annual Fall CLE - Oregon State Bar, October 2015
- What Keeps You Up At Night? – Bullard Human Resources Workshop, July 2014
- HR Issues: What Keeps You Up At Night - Bullard Workshop, July 2012
- Managing Drugs and Alcohol in the Workplace - Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) Annual Employment Law Conference, December 2011
- Privacy in the Workplace: New Expectations and Obligations - Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) Annual Employment Law Conference, December 2009
- Lay-off/Reduction in Force - Bullard Public Sector Symposium, February 2009
- "The First Sixty Days of a Lawsuit: Practical and Strategic Actions to Help You Build Your Defense" – Bullard Summer Workshop Program, August 2006