Chris came to his law career by a circuitous route. After graduating high school in Indiana, he completed an AmeriCorps program based in Denver, Colorado. After college at Colorado State University, he moved to Florida and bought a sailboat, without really knowing how to sail. He soon learned and then lived aboard and sailed for five years up and down the East Coast and through the Bahamas. During this time, he utilized his science background working as a water quality field technician in the Florida Keys and on the Chesapeake Bay. In short, he has a diverse background.
During law school, Chris clerked for the Portland City Attorney’s office, where he worked on employment litigation cases for the City in its role as an employer. He also tried three cases to a jury while interning with the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office as a court-certified law student.
Chris joined Bullard after law school in 2013. His practice focuses on traditional labor law, including collective bargaining, labor contract administration, employee relations, discipline and discharge, representation before state and federal agencies, and policy review and implementation for both public and private sector clients.
Chris also represents clients in connection with employment law issues, defending employers against employee claims before state and federal courts and administrative agencies in all types of employment litigation. He also provides advice and training to employers on all types of employment-related issues.
In all matters, Chris strives to provide candid, well-reasoned advice, with an emphasis on data and practical realities to obtain the desired outcome.
Outside of work, Chris enjoys backpacking, hiking and camping with his family, playing basketball and traveling internationally.
- Oregon Makes Sweeping Changes for Public Sector Unionized Employers - League of Oregon Cities, July 2019
- Oregon State Legislature Makes Sweeping Changes for Public Sector Unionized Employers - Bullard Alert, June 2019
- US DOL Proposes New Overtime Rule - Bullard Alert, March 2019
- Supreme Court Declares Public Sector Fair Share Fees Unconstitutional - Bullard Alert, June 2018
- NLRB Sets New Standard Governing Workplace Policies – Bullard Alert, December 2017
- US House of Representatives Passes Bill Limiting Definition of Joint Employer – Bullard Alert, November 2017
- Permanent Injunction Issued Against Persuader Rule - Bullard Alert, November 2016
- Federal Contractor Paid Sick Leave Rules Issued by DOL - Bullard Alert, November 2016
- EEOC Issues Updated Retaliation Enforcement Guidance - Bullard Alert, October 2016
- Injunction Suspends Department of Labor’s “Persuader Rule” - Bullard Alert, June 2016
- That’s A Wrap - Key Employment Bills Passed During Oregon’s 2015 Legislative Session - Bullard Alert, July 2015
- Not Lovin' It - NLRB's General Counsel Authorizes Charges Against McDonald's As Joint Employer with Franchisees - Bullard Alert, August 2014
- NLRB Considers Expanding Joint Employer Standard - Bullard Alert, May 2014
- Weingarten Rights: Unionized Employees’ Right to a Representative in Investigatory Interviews - Oregon Business Report, May 2014
- Supreme Court Upholds CBA Provision that Time Spent Changing Clothes is Not Compensable Under the FLSA's Collective Bargaining Exception - Bullard Alert, February 2014
- EEOC Settles First Systemic Discrimination Case Filed Under the Genetic Information Act - Bullard Alert, January 2014
- The Grievance Process - Bullard Law Public Sector Symposium, April 2019
- Public Employees' Due Process Rights in Discipline and Discharge - Special Districts Association of Oregon, February 2019
- Life After Janus v. AFSCME - Bullard Law Seminar, December 2018
- Discipline and Discharge: Due Process Rights for Public Employees - Bullard Public Sector Symposium, May 2018
- Whistleblowing Laws - Lewis and Clark Law, April 2018
- ERB Case Law Update and Legislative Update - Bullard Public Sector Symposium, May 2017
- Employment Law 101: Covering the Basics for Small Businesses and Employers in Emerging Industries - Bullard Workshop, February 2017
- The NLRB’s Joint Employment Standard and Temporary Employees- What Does it Mean for You? - Bullard Workshop, November 2016
- NLRB's Recent Push to Regulate Non-Union Workplaces - Bullard Workshop, January 2015