Jess comes to Bullard via Wisconsin and some other stops along the way. Prior to her adventures in lawyering, Jess worked in a wide array of fascinating and sometimes interesting jobs, largely in the local Portland service industry. Jess also has experience working as a litigator at national law firms representing clients in a variety of areas, including legal ethics and risk management, mass torts, complex commercial, and employment law.
Since joining Bullard, Jess has continued to represent both public, private, and nonprofit employers in employment litigation, including wrongful discharge, wage and hour, and other related areas. Jess’ practice has grown to include workplace investigations and labor relations, including collective bargaining, cases before the National Labor Relations Board, and labor arbitrations.
Jess’ pre-law experience brings a unique perspective to her work, as she has years of working in both management and non-management positions, including in industrial shops as well as the aforementioned service industry. These experiences foundationally frame the work Jess does on behalf of her clients and assists her in empathizing with the realities of day-to-day management and operations.
Jess is actively involved in volunteer organizations, with a specific dedication to supporting the LGBTQIA+ communities. Jess currently serves on the Bill and Ann Shepard Scholarship Committee for OGALLA, the LGBT Bar Association, and the Board of Directors of the Portland Gay Men’s Chorus. Jess has previously served on the OGALLA Board of Directors and the Multnomah County Bar Association Diversity Scholarship Subcommittee. Jess also serves on the Executive Committee of the Owen M. Panner Inn of Courts and previously served on the Campaign for Equal Justice’s Associates Committee.
- Oregon OSHA Issues Model Policy Related to Workplace COVID-19 Exposure – Bullard Alert, November 2020
- DOL Issues Remote Work Wage and Hour Guidance - Bullard Alert, July 2020
- Washington Changes to Overtime Exemptions Go Into Effect July 1, 2020 - Bullard Alert, July 2020
- Key Employment Law Impacts of the Enacted Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act - Bullard Alert, April 2020
- Gov. Brown Issues Executive Order "Stay Home, Save Lives" - Bullard Alert, March 2020
- BOLI Issues Two Temporary Orders to Support Employers In Response To COVID-19 - Bullard Alert, March 2020
- Reminder: These Oregon Laws in Effect January 1 - Bullard Alert, January 2020
- DOL's Final OT Rule Sets FLSA Exemption Threshold at $35K - Bullard Alert, October 2019
- 2019 Oregon Legislative Update - Bullard Alert, August 2019
- 2021 Bullard Law Annual Briefing – Bullard Webinar, October 2021
- 2021 Public Sector Symposium – Bullard Webinar, June 2021
- 2020 Bullard Law Briefing – Bullard Webinar, October 2020
- Harassment and Discrimination In A Remote World - Lower Columbia Human Resources Management Association, May 2020
- The New Workplace: Harassment and Discrimination During Social Distancing and Remote Work - Bullard Webinar, May 2020