Mitch Cogen began his career as a human resources executive. For ten years, Mitch was Corporate Manager, Human Resources for a large paper company based in Connecticut.. Frequently finding himself sitting across the table from attorneys representing unions and state and federal agencies, Mitch became fascinated by the practice of law and enrolled in the University of Connecticut School of Law.
In 1999, Mitch moved to Portland and joined Bullard Law shortly thereafter. Impressed with his work, in 2004 Freightliner LLC (nka Daimler Trucks North America LLC) hired Mitch away to serve as in-house counsel responsible for all labor and employment law matters. Mitch chose to return to private practice with Bullard Law in 2009.
With the business acumen acquired as a human resources professional and in-house attorney, Mitch truly understands the challenges his clients face. Mitch’s unique perspective helps him accurately assess and analyze situations, devise creative and effective solutions, avoid potential lawsuits, and successfully defend lawsuits when they arise. Mitch is passionate about partnering with clients to strategize and execute plans that successfully deliver desired results.
Mitch’s practice covers all areas of private and public sector labor and employment law, with a particular emphasis in employment and labor litigation and arbitrations, workplace investigations and preventative advice.
Outside of the office, Mitch serves as Master member of the Owen M. Panner Inn of Court. An avid athlete, he plays competitive tennis, golf, and enjoys snow and waterskiing. When he has free time, Mitch spends as much of it as he can with his family.
- Section 1981 Claims Can Be Arbitrated - Society for Human Resource Management, August 2019
- EEOC to Require Employers to Submit Both 2017 and 2018 Compensation Data by September 30, 2019 - Bullard Alert, April 2019
- EEOC Releases Latest EEO-1 Filing Instructions - Bullard Alert, April 2019
- Some New Guidance on EEO-1 Reports But Questions Remain - Bullard Alert, April 2019
- EEO-1 Reports in Limbo: Awaiting EEOC Filing Guidance - Bullard Alert, March 2019
- New Contours in Arbitration of Employment Disputes - The Law Report, March 2019
- NLRB General Counsel Issues Guidance on Handbook Rules - Bullard Alert, June 2018
- NLRB Returns Joint Employer Test to Pre-Browning-Ferris Standard - Bullard Alert, December 2017
- Recent Case Notes: A Supervisor May be Liable for Aiding-and-Abetting its Own Conduct if Acting Outside of the Scope of Employment - The Verdict, Fall 2017
- Ask the Expert: Do I have to Pay an Employee for Overtime Work that was not Authorized? - Portland Business Journal, January, 2013
- Internal Investigations - Bureau of Labor and Industries Annual Employment Law Conference, November 2016
- Labor Law Update: Handbooks and Work Rules – Bullard Annual Labor and Employment Law Briefing, October 2016
- Subtle and Not So Subtle Discrimination - BOLI 31st Annual Employment Law Conference, November 2015
- Bullying in the Workplace - Douglas County SHRM, April 2015
- NLRB's Recent Push to Regulate Non-Union Workplaces - Bullard Workshop, January 2015
- Conducting Effective Internal Investigations – BOLI 30th Annual Employment Law Conference, November 2014
- Fundamentals of Employment Law, ADA and FMLA Updates and Interplay - Sterling Educational Services, June 2013
- Employment Challenges Under the Evolving Law Regarding Gender Identity - Bullard Annual Labor and Employment Law Briefing, October 2012
- Recent Developments in Labor, Employment and Benefits Law - Bullard Summer Workshop Series, June 2009
- Downsizing, Layoffs and RIFs--Employment Issues to Consider in a Down Economy - Medford Rogue Valley Society for Human Resource Management (RV SHRM), May 2008
- Succession Planning and Retention Strategies: Tips and Best Practices from the Field – Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Oregon State Council Sixth Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, March 2008
- Farias et al v. Lovett Inc, Multnomah County Circuit Court, Case No. 1203-03393( 2012)
- Denny v. Union Pacific, 2004 WL 966230 (D Or 2004);
- 2006 US App Lexis 5993 (9th Cir 2006).
- Snodgrass v. Lanphere Enterprises, 2001 US Dist Lexis 12596 (D Or 2001), aff'd in part and rev'd in part, 2003 US App Lexis 6379 (9th Cir 2003).